Pleasant Green Baptist Church – Vicksburg
817 Bowman Street – Vicksburg, MS 39180
(601) 638 -5683 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
Pleasant Green Baptist Church Vicksburg was established in 1867 in a mess hall on Pearl Street. The first church was destroyed by a storm in 1869 and another church was built in 1869 under Rev. Jim Shaw. The church relocated to its present site in 1888 with the construction of a wood-framed structure for worship, which subsequently burned. A new brick structure was constructed under Rev. Dunham and Deacon Ragan, both professional brick masons.
In 1893, the church called Rev. Oscar Williams – a mighty man of God, soul-stirring preacher, revivalist, earnest and tireless worker – as its seventh pastor, who organized the church into working ministries with assistance from Deacons Jack Lindsey, Johnny Young, George Ely, Saul Moore, Dan Scott, Ed Brackins, and Jim Shaw. The final church structure was completed under Rev. Williams leadership in 1898 and the membership increased to over 800 congregants.
In 1910, under the leadership of Rev. G. W. Alexander, a two-story hall was erected and the usher board was organized with the first ushers being Will Moore, Henry Tucker, and Fink Taylor.
In 1922, under the pastor-ship of Rev. Frank Williams, the pipe organ was installed, concrete steps replaced wooden steps, electric lights replaced gas lights, and a water cooler was added. Also, the two story fellowship hall was replaced with the current structure, a heat furnace was added, and the communion table presently used was obtained.
In 1939, under the shepherding of Rev. L. R. Chandler, a new roof for the church and fellowship hall were completed, the exterior of the church and fellowship hall was restored, a baptismal pool and new hardwood floors were added, and the choir stand were extended.
In 1969, after 29 years of faithful service, Rev. Chandler resigned due to health issues, and Rev. F. L. Barnes was called as pastor and oversaw the installation of air conditioning and carpeted floors.
In March 1982, after the passing of Rev. Barnes, Rev. Alvin G. Walker was called to serve as pastor. Under his leadership, new land was purchased; new doors for the front of the church and basement were installed; usher, finance and communion rooms were constructed, and handrails were added. He served until 2002.
In September, 2003, Rev. Herman Sylvester was elected pastor. Under his administration Bible Class attendance increased, Mother’s Board was revitalized, and he placed emphasis on the youth of the church. Rev. Sylvester led the church in legally changing its name to “Pleasant Green Baptist Church-Vicksburg, Inc.” In August 2011, Elwin Johnson and Noland Boyd were added to the Deacon roster. Rev. Sylvester served until 2013.
In November 2013, Rev. Jefforey Stafford was called as pastor. Under his leadership the church was organized into various ministries. He has incorporated a new operational vision for the church with a Ministry Council as the governing structure of the church. A new sound system was added, Bible Study was restructured, and new software was incorporated for effective financial record-keeping. The church acquired two pieces of property to aid in future development. The church also became an affiliate member of the General Missionary Baptist State Convention of MS, Inc. as well as the National Baptist Convention, USA Inc. Rev. Stafford is committed to leading Pleasant Green in pursuit of the vision of “Exalting Christ, Embracing the Community with Care & Engaging our Culture through Christ-Centered Compassion” so that the Savior will be glorified, his saints edified, sinners evangelized, and society revitalized culminating in the acquisition and conversion of the former Bowman School into the Pleasant Green Community Life Center.
Come Gather, Grow, Glow, and Go with us!